Lesson 16 (updated 10/26/2010)
Class meets in library computer lab
- Use ProQuest Platinum database to locate one newspaper article that will help answer research questions developed during Lesson #15
Task(s) - due at the end of the period:
- Take the My Personal Wellness ICT Pre-Test to measure your information literacy know-how. Be sure to click "Submit all and finish"
- Watch the "ProQuest Platinum Lesson" video.Watch it all the way through the first time!
- Using your list of keywords, and the research question you developed in lessons #14 and #15, find, print and email (@ncps-k12.org) to yourself a current (last two years) newspaper article from ProQuest Platinum (the big one) during class. Use the ProQuest interface to accomplish this (see below*).
Remember that you must go through the library database page to access ProQuest Platinum! Watch the video again, if you aren't sure how to do this.
newspaper article (last two years) must be related to areas of concern, as described in the list of keywords and research questions from Lessons #14 and 15.
Homework - due at the beginning of Lesson #17:
- Read and highlight points from your ProQuest Platinum newspaper article that answer your research question(s).
The article must be current (last two years).
- Type, in either Word, or Google Docs, a summary of your article (150-200 words), as it pertains to YOUR personal wellness. You may NOT copy and paste the ProQuest summary! That would be plagiarizing. Copy and paste the corrected ProQuest citation** to the top of your summary.
Save it to your U drive on the school network. Bring a hard copy (paper) to class with you for Lesson #17. Be prepared to share with your classmates.
- Bring to class for next session (lesson #17)
- hard copy (paper) of your keywords and research questions (from Lessons #14 & 15) with you to class.Be prepared to share with your classmates.
- Bring a hard copy (paper) of your ProQuest Platinum newspaper article. Be prepared to share with your classmates.
- Bring a hard copy (paper)of your ProQuest Platinum newspaper article typed summary (that you prepared for Lesson #16 homework) to class with you for Lesson #17. Be prepared to share with your classmates.
- What do you need to be able to do to live a balanced life
- What do you need to know to live a balanced life?
- How can decisions about diet and exercise affect short and long term health?
- What foods should you eat and avoid?
- How can I research what affects my personal wellness?
- Why can't I just Google this?
- Why use a database?
www.nchslmc.org Database icon (blue computer), Username: nchs Password: library, ProQuest Platinum (the big one)
Your ncps email address ends in ncps-k12.org
Handouts from the video
My Personal Wellenss - Lesson #16 (2010) from michelle luhtala on Vimeo.
Sample search, as shown in video:
**Here is the screenshot that shows you how to fix the ProQuest Platinum MLA citation
*Here is how to print, email and cite the article using the ProQuest Interface: